Saturday, July 17, 2010

Inception

Last night, George and I saw Inception. It's a triumph to get him to the movie theaters these days - he usually says, "Let's wait until it comes out on video" which means we'll probably never see it.

But, we did go see Inception. George, who had only heard David Edelstein's negative review on NPR, had very low expectations of the movie. I was more optimistic (even though I'm one of the few people, it seems, who does not swoon over Leonardo di Caprio). It is my kind of movie - visual, compelling, fast-paced. True, there wasn't a lot new here. True, some of the dialog was clunky. I don't think it is the best movie OF ALL TIME. But still... it was fun, it was interesting, and it was complex enough not to be boring or pointless. Some of the dream sequences were so fascinating, particularly when Dom (di Caprio) and Ariadne (Ellen Page) share a dream for the first time. I think the movie is worth seeing simply for the visual landscape.

I believe a fairer, more accurate, review by Lisa Schwartzbaum, appeared in Entertainment Weekly - it certainly reflects my reaction: despite the flaws, "I can't wait to go back."

3 comments:

  1. Good to know about the movie...I was wondering how it was...I just saw shutter island last week and it was really a lot better than I thought it would be...I almost want to watch it again :)

    April "Be my blog follower on Blogger" rainbowafterrain81

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Tuesday - I was lucky enough to get free passes so I figured it was worth a shot. I agree with your review - not the best film ever, but solid!

    Following you from swapbot!

    -Emmanem Handmade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing this (when it comes to video)! Thanks for the review!

    swapbot-treehugger

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and posting a comment! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails