As part of the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale series of events, a vegan bake sale will be held this Saturday, June 27, on the Commons from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. I hear there is a plethora of delicious vegan goodies lined up!
Proceeds will help Chuck Pappas, a former Farm Sanctuary employee who sadly had to quit his job last March after being diagnosed with Stage IV brain cancer. You would not believe how expensive treatment is, and how little of it is covered by insurance. We need to help Chuck get better so he can get back to helping the animals. Chuck's plight is detailed on the 300 miles for Chuck blog as well as Chuck's own blog.
Ithaca Journal Article
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Monday, June 22, 2009
On Facebook, Emily tagged me on her "Must Have Titles" list (which means it's my turn to make a list). This was a little harder than I expected, and I noticed that most of the memorable books are from my distant past.
Instructions: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you've read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes. Tag 15 friends, including me because I'm interested in seeing your fifteen too.
1. The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
2. The Virgin Suicides, Jeffrey Euginides
3. Middlesex, Jeffrey Euginides
4. Ender's Game & Speaker for the Dead, Orson Scott Card
5. A Very Long Engagement, Sebastien Japrisot
6. He She It, Marge Piercy
7. Eve's Tattoo, Emily Prager
8. Church of the Dead Girls, Stephen Dobyns
9. A Ring of Endless Light, Madeleine L'Engle
10. Dune, Frank Herbert
11. The Little Price, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
12. Trans-Sister Radio, Chris Bohjalian
13. Inspector Rebus Series, Ian Rankin
14. Possession, A.S. Byatt
15. How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas, David Bornstein