Sunday, June 15, 2008

Patty Griffin's Heavenly Day

Several years ago, Julia introduced me to Patty Griffin's album 1,000 Kisses, which includes the beautiful and haunting song "Rain." Since then, I have followed her new releases closely, especially after I learned she's performed on some Ellis Paul tracks. Although most of her songs feel like they are stabbing you in the heart, she does have some upbeat melodies as well.

Interestingly, "Long Road" is one of the more upbeat songs, in terms of the music. However, if you listen to the lyrics they are heartbreaking. The song is about the funeral of a loved one. "Tony" about a high school outcast who commits suicide is also a catchy tune. All of this points to the unpredictable nature of her music and, to my mind, its thoughtfulness.

Last spring, when Griffin's new CD "Children Running Through" was released, I was so excited and bought it posthaste. I enjoyed it as much as her previous albums, which combined the gut-wrenching and uplifting. One of the uplifting songs is called "Heavenly Day":

The smile on your face I live only to see
It's enough for me, baby, it's enough for me
Oh, heavenly day, heavenly day, heavenly day

With these lyrics, you might forgive me for assuming the song is about a lazy weekend day with a boyfriend (or girlfriend) or husband/partner.

Last July, Patty Griffin came to Phoenix for a concert, so George, Ryan, and I went. It was phenomenal, amazing, breathtaking... I was so pleased I had the opportunity to see her perform live. One of the most delightful moments was when she introduced "Heavenly Day." Instead of being about a lover, she said it was about a day with her dog. Of course, that was the sweetest thing I've ever heard, and I liked the song even more after that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and posting a comment! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails