Sunday, February 24, 2008

Nader to Enter Presidential Race

Today, Ralph Nader announced that he would enter the 2008 Presidential race as an Independent, asserting that "dissent is the mother of ascent."

In 2000, I remember the excitement that Nader's nomination engendered as well as the lore regarding "Nader Traders"--those in hotly contested states who would vote for Gore while a partner in states assumed red would cast a Nader vote. Nader wasn't on the Oklahoma ballot, and I didn't bother to become a Nader Trader, but I certainly supported the Green candidate's platform and thought that if he had been on the ballot in my state, I might have voted for him.

Given what happened in the 2000 race, though, I worry about how Nader's entry will affect the democratic candidate. Though I cannot argue that dissent can produce positive results, I wonder if entering the race is the best way to promote his positions.

NPR Story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and posting a comment! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails