Sunday, August 22, 2010

Teaching Autistic Students and Adults

As I mentioned in a previous post, a small number of students diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome have enrolled at Ithaca College. When a friend of mine posted a link to Temple Grandin's advice for teaching both children and adults with autism, I was very interested in reading Grandin's suggestions. Many of them echo the strategies I previously recorded, but others are new to me, such as issues with generalization and inability to sequence.

To me, this is a useful set of guidelines to remember when teaching students on the autism spectrum, but it also is a good reminder that students in general have different learning styles, and it's important to recognize things that are working and things that aren't for each particular class of individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and posting a comment! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails