Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

The Immortal Life of Henrietta LacksThanks to my Ravelry Vegan for Every Season swap partner, I had a copy of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which I had been coveting for some time. Because this is a book from science writer Rebecca Skloot on HeLa cells, I thought the book might take longer to read than one of my usual selections. However, I devoured it in just over a single day, it was written so clearly and so well. Of course, it's not just about the immortal HeLa cell line, which has been used for decades of medical and scientific research. Skloot also tells Henrietta's story, the story of the doctors who first discovered and used the HeLa cells, and of Henrietta's descendants who did not know that Henrietta's cells were so important, and who did not even know they were used until twenty-so years after they were cultured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and posting a comment! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails